TODAY’S SPECIAL: Judges 6:11-16
TO CHEW ON: "The Lord answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites, leaving none alive.' ” Judges 6:16
After Joshua died the people quickly forgot his final instructions. They began marrying their Canaanite neighbors and were soon praying to idols. So God allowed the nations around them to pick fights with them and win. The kings of these nations took their cities, made them servants and stole their crops.
When this happened, the people prayed for help. Then God raised up rulers called judges. These judges trusted God. They helped the people turn back to God. They led them into battle, helped them get back their land and live in peace again.
But the peace never lasted for long. No sooner was the danger past than the Israelites went back to worshiping idols. Then God allowed their enemies to trouble them again.
In one of these times the people from Midian – the Midianites – were hassling the Israelites so much they had to leave their homes and live in caves. They were running out of food because the Midianites stole their crops and cattle, and wrecked their land.
A farmer named Gideon lived at this time. One day he was secretly threshing wheat in his hideout.
1. Choose the words from the list below that describe how he may have been feeling:
2. Suddenly an angel appeared to him. What did the angel call him? (Judges 6:12)
a] humble farmer
b] idol worshiper
c] mighty warrior.
3. The angel went on to give him an assignment. He – Gideon, the farmer – was the one God had chosen to lead his people against the Midianites. Gideon knew he could never do this. But then the angel went on to tell him, he didn’t have to do it alone. Who would be with him? (Judges 6:16) _________________.
4. Choose the words from the list above that describe how Gideon may have felt after the angel talked to him.
What an amazing day for Gideon. And what a hard assignment! But Gideon didn’t have to do this assignment alone. God would be with him.
God has a special assignment for you too. Right now you may or may not know what it is. But when God tells you what He wants you to do, He will be with you, helping you do it.
PRAYER: Dear God, thank You for promising to help us do the jobs You give us to do. Amen.
MORE: Mighty you
1. The Lord’s angel called Gideon “Mighty Warrior”
If an angel from God visited you and called you by an empowering name, what would you want to be called? __________
2. Perhaps you already have an idea of the job God has for you. Write your thoughts about it.